I finally had a chance to sit down and let the wonderful evening sink in! In no particular order, I wanted to say "THANK YOU"!! : to Richard Skipper, our featured celebrity Spotlight for January and to Daryl Kojak, our featured musical director, to each and every ONE of you FABULOUS SPOTLIGHTS who were there performing, to Jason Ellis on lights and sound, those who were in the audience, those who had schedule conflicts who sent their love as well as those who were there in "spirit" (I know John Koprowski was there with us).
It was a difficult evening for me as it was the first open mic since John Koprowski is gone. However, everyone who was there made me forget the pain and focus on the music which had brought us all together!
Richard Skipper invited each of us to share a "piece" of his world and we can't help but feel included! I've always LOVED watching Richard perform and this evening was an amazing treat for everyone! He got off the stage and made his stage amongst the audience!
Daryl Kojak is an amazing musical director and accompanist. Without rehearsing with anyone, he made the night magical, rescuing many of us at moments of confusion seamlessly!
THANK YOU! SO SO GRATEFUL!
Here are the SPOTLIGHTS who joined us for the evening (in order of appearance) and what they have coming up! Mark your calendars!:
1) Rian Keating joined us for the first time, kick-starting the evening with "Bali Hai" (South Pacific). Welcome! I recently videoed his very moving show "There Is a Time: Songs of Love and Life". Looking forward to hearing about his new projects!
2) Susan Neuffer brought to us a song that didn't make it into her show "Apocalypse WOW", "Too Long at the Fair" (Bonnie Raitt)
3) Nicci Nicholas spent the night "Steppin' Out With My Baby"
4) Bennett Silverstein is working on a new comedy show TBA
5) Sidney Plunket, our regular spotlight came back to continue to work on her music!
6) Steven Zumbo is a new Spotlight who is working on putting together a show at Don't Tell Mama. He will let us know about dates! Welcome to the Spotlight!
7) Lucille Carr-Kaffashan, 2017 Bistro Award Winner for Outstanding Theme Show just rejoined us from doing her show at the Rrazz Room on December 15th in New Hope, PA. She will keep us posted on her new projects!
8) Kevin Scott Hall - is a dear friend of mine as well as the cabaret community. Many may know him from his previous role as cabaret reviewer for EDGE. He has been a cabaret performer for many years and he has been teaching "THAT SINGING FEELING" Cabaret Workshop for 22 years! Check it out!
9) Bobbie Horowitz - my wonderfully supportive and talented cabaret "mommy" is honoring Michael Colby, John Introcaso and Renee Katz at her next round of "It's Just A Number" at Don't Tell Mama on Monday, January 29th at 7 PM! Don't Miss it!
10) Brian Tom O'Connor, a friend of one of our frequent Spotlight Helen Glassman, came back to join us! We look forward to hearing about his projects soon!
11) Marcia Roney - is bringing back her show "Letting Go" for a final run at Don't Tell Mama on February 1st at 7 PM. Don't Miss it!
12) Laurie Krauz joined us at the Spotlight for the first time! Welcome! I LOVE her! If you see her perform, you will know what I mean. I will let you know when she has something coming up next!
13) Barbara Malley is all over these days! You can see our MAC Award winning regular on TV, at the subway and around the city on poster boards! She is a busy lady! We look forward to hearing about her next show!
14) Deanna Monaco joined us for the first time! Welcome! She is planning to do a show sometime this year at Don't Tell Mama! Stay tuned!
15) Kati Neiheisel is bringing her show "Among the Stars" for a 4th and final performance on February 15th, 7 PM at Don't Tell Mama! This show is directed by our December featured duo Deb Berman and Gregory Toroian and if you have not seen it, grab your tickets NOW! Don't miss it!
16) Richard Eisenberg, witty and talented singer/song writer, joined us for the first time! Welcome to the Spotlight! He got the crowd going with his original number" America"!
17) Carol Sue Gershman joined us for the first time. Welcome! She just concluded her sold out show "Carol Sue Gershman Sings to the Amazing YOU" She might be bringing it back! Stay tuned!
18) Debra Vogel is also joining us for the first time! Welcome! She recently completed her run of of her show "Life is Just A Bowl of Cherries" and she will be bringing it back this spring so stay tuned!
19) Deborah Stone is another first time Spotlight! She just performed her newest show "Siren Song" with raved reviews and she is looking forward to doing it again in March and April, tentatively at Don't Tell Mama! We will be on the look out for sure! Welcome to the Spotlight!
20) Emily Ellet , 2017 Metrostar winner joined us for the first time! Welcome Emily! She is bringing her debut show "Uncharted" to Don't Tell Mama on Feb 22-24 exploring new beginnings, old habits and the uncharted territories outside one's comfort zone! She did a great job at the Spotlight and we will definitely mark our calendars for her show!
21) Eva Steinberg is another newbie to Spotlight! I LOVE IT! WELCOME! She is working with Daryl Kojak on a new show named "Comes Love"! We will stay tuned for information!
22) Jason Ellis - our tech director on lights and sound with the most is brought another one of his creative takes to a song in his rendition of "Aint No Sunshine"! I always look forward to his new work and I will keep you all posted!
THANK YOU ALL FOR JOINING US AT THE SPOTLIGHT AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT MONTH ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH WHERE WE WILL BE FEATURING BISTRO AWARD WINNING SONG WRITER/COMPOSER/PERFORMER EXTRAORDINAIRE TIM DI PASQUA AND MULTI-TALENTED ARRANGER/MUSICAL DIRECTOR/CONDUCTOR, IAN HERMAN ON THE PIANO!
STAY TUNED FOR INTERVIEWS AND SEE YOU IN THE NEXT SPOTLIGHT!